* Your assessment is very important for improving the workof artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project
Environmental problems in Cyprus Α΄ Dimotiko sxolio Pera Choriou - Nisou Comenius project 2010 - 2012 Main environmental problems • Water shortage • Climate change – Extreme weather events • Air quality • Waste • Traffic jam Water shortage Water shortage The Kouris Dam is normally full, but since the drought it has run completely dry. • Cyprus is facing its worst ever water shortage in the past few decades. • 2007 winter was the second driest since 1901. • Young pine trees that were planted in the last two decades are dying. Water shortage • In 2008 a Greek tanker carrying about 1.76 million cubic feet of water arrived in Cyprus to help the drought-stricken island replenish its dwindling water reserves. Climate change Extreme weather events Climate change – Extreme weather events • Cyprus has a hotter, drier climate than it had a century ago. • The highest temperature ever officially recorded in Cyprus was 44.4º in Nicosia. Cyprus Climate table MONTH Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Daytime °C 15 15 19 24 29 34 37 37 33 28 22 17 Night °C 5 5 7 10 14 18 21 21 18 14 11 7 Rain days 11 10 7 4 3 1 0 0 1 3 5 9 Climate change – Extreme weather events Sudden rainfalls Climate change – Extreme weather events Hurricanes Air quality Air quality •Cyprus suffers from warm dust storms coming from Africa. •Vulnerable groups in society stay indoors due to this extremely high dust levels in the atmosphere. •Air quality is also influenced from the emissions coming from vehicles. Waste Waste • • • • Waste is one of the biggest problems that Cyprus is facing. There is no unified policy about waste. In 2008 Cypriots generated 770 kg of waste on average. Cypriots, Danes and the Irish produce the most waste per capita in the whole European Union. Waste • In 2008 Cyprus, stowed 87 per cent of the rubbish in landfills and recycled only the remaining 13 per cent. • 113 landfills are currently in operation across Cyprus. • Landfills are sources of pollution; the ground is contaminated; the aquifers; toxic substances are produced and foul smell. Traffic jam Traffic jam • Public transport in Cyprus is limited. There is no train service available. Only buses and Taxis. • The International Road Federation in 2007 showed that Cyprus holds the highest car ownership rate in the world with 742 cars per 1,000 people. • Traffic emissions became an increasing threat to the atmosphere. • Within the Kyoto Protocol Cyprus has the obligation to reduce emissions to the atmosphere by 8% during the period 2008 – 2012. Our students for six years are dealing with environmental activities in their attempt to save the environment!