Download - Bowel Screening

Survey
yes no Was this document useful for you?
   Thank you for your participation!

* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project

Document related concepts
no text concepts found
Transcript
Consultation on next steps for bowel
screening programme
Monday, 6 July 2015, 4:46 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Government
Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman
Minister of Health
6 July 2015
Consultation on next steps for bowel screening programme
Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government will be consulting with the
health sector to inform the next steps towards the potential roll out of a national bowel
screening programme.
“Delivering better cancer services is a top priority for the Government. Bowel cancer
is the second most common cause of cancer death in New Zealand,” says Dr
Coleman.
“To inform the next steps towards a possible roll out of a national bowel screening
programme, the Ministry of Health will be consulting with the health sector and other
agencies on how the service could be provided across the DHBs.
“I expect to take a business case to Cabinet by the end of the year which will consider
a potential staged roll out of a national bowel screening programme from early 2017.”
More than 6,000 people have received a colonoscopy through the Waitemata DHB
bowel screening pilot since January 2012. Early evaluation results are positive, and it
is providing valuable information for a potential national roll out of the programme.
The largest constraint to a national bowel screening programme is having the
workforce to do the colonoscopies. There are a number of initiatives underway to
address this.
An additional $8 million was provided in Budget 2014, on top of $3.4 million in
Budget 2013, to help DHBs deliver more colonoscopies.
Initiatives to strengthen the endoscopy workforce include increasing the number of
gastroenterology trainees. The sector is also considering increasing the use of CT
colonography where appropriate.
Latest figures show that significantly more people are receiving publicly funded
colonoscopies, and waiting lists are dropping.
Over 35,800 people received a colonoscopy last year, up from over 29,000 in 2013 an increase of more than 20 per cent. For the year ending April 2015, the number of
people waiting for a colonoscopy dropped by over 30 per cent.
Budget 2015 invested $12.4 million to extend the Waitemata DHB bowel cancer
screening pilot to December 2017.
ends