* Your assessment is very important for improving the work of artificial intelligence, which forms the content of this project
Calculus I Textbook: Calculus: Or A Single Variable 9th edition: ISBN 0-547-21290-6, Larson and Edwards Homework: Online through: http://math.mc.edu/webwork2/Clinton_High_Calculus/ Course Description: One may represent many real life situations in the form of an equation or a set of equations called a mathematical model. These models generally fall into two categories: discrete models and continuous models. Discrete models arise often in computing science and in business situations and solving them is the subject of classes such as Graph Theory and Operations Research. Continuous models arise most often in engineering and other scientific settings and solving them involves the use of Calculus. In this class, we begin a study of the basic tools needed for solving continuous models. The hammers, screwdrivers and saws developed in Calculus I will be needed for Calculus II, III, IV and in fields ranging from Differential Equations to Probability and Statistics. Also, the mathematical maturity developed will be necessary for most upper division mathematics classes. Goals: This term, the student will demonstrate an understanding of the following concepts and methods: • overview of functions ◦ linear models ◦ trigonometric ◦ exponential ◦ logarithmic • limits ◦ understanding the definition ◦ rules ◦ one-sided limits ◦ infinite limits ◦ limits at infinity • continuity ◦ understanding the definition ◦ Intermediate Value Theorem ◦ Bisection method for approximating solutions to equations • derivatives ◦ understanding the definition ◦ rules ◦ implicit differentiation ◦ applications to distance/velocity/acceleration ◦ applications to related rates • other uses of the derivative ◦ finding extreme values ◦ finding intervals for increasing/decreasing ◦ finding intervals for concave up/down ◦ curve sketching ◦ various word problems which apply all these concepts (Roughly the prerequesites and the first three chapters of the text.) In aiming at these target ideas, we will use graphical calculators and computers to promote better intuition, greater understanding and increased proficiency in doing mathematics. Meetings: This class meets as scheduled. You are expected to be in class on time. University policy states that a student cannot miss more than 25% of the class meetings and receive credit for the course. Further, attendance will be necessary in order to understand the material and make a good grade. The student is responsible for work and material missed when absent. Cheating in any way will be properly rewarded in accordance to university policy. Grading: There will be four exams during the semester plus one mid-term and one comprehensive final exam. Due to time constraints, the last sectional exam and the comprehensive exam could be given on the last day of the term. Also, there will be a quiz grade coming from an average of assigned online homework as well as a few assigned projects (time permitting). Any homework or projects missed will be awarded a grade of zero. Your final average will be computed by taking an unweighted average of the exam grades (which counts 90%) and the quiz grade (which counts 10%). Your high school grade will be computed as 10% quiz grade and 90% as two chapter tests and a mid-term (9 weeks) test given for the 3rd 9-weeks grade. The 4th 9-weeks grade will be based on two test grades accompanied with the quiz average. The final high school grade will come from the average of your two 9-weeks averages as 75% and the semester exam counting the remaining 25%. Make-up assignments only are given in the case of an excused absence and will be given upon your return to school. The grading scale is A=90-100 B=80-89 C=70-79 D=65-69 F=0-64 Aim now for the desired grade. Finally, all graded work will be returned to the student for keeping. If there were any question later about your grade, you would be expected to show these papers.