55 Amherst Road - Pelham Library
... Pelham Historian Charles O. Parmenter [1833-1913] recalled [in 1898] when 51 Amherst
Road was owned by John Harkness, Jr. [1788-1844] in the 1820s. “East of [51 Amherst
Road] and on the same side of the way are gravelly knolls that were often plowed and
sowed to winter rye in the fall for harvesting ...